EASO organised the 9th edition of its Consultative Forum Plenary Meeting, entitled “Initial steps in the asylum procedure”, on the 12th of November 2019 in Brussels.
The 2018 EASO Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the EU+ signaled a trend of EU Member States introducing a number of changes in the initial steps of the asylum procedure to obtain as much information as possible from applicants at an early stage, aiming to ensure that applications are processed swiftly, comprehensively and in an informed manner. This year’s plenary meeting aimed to explore the following key questions:
- What are some of the new measures and tools that are being introduced by Member States to streamline the initial phase of the asylum procedure?
- What impact do such new measures and tools have on applicants for international protection?
- What role do civil society organisations play in guaranteeing effective access to procedural safeguards during the initial steps of the asylum procedure?
- How is EASO involved in the initial steps of the procedure, and how can EASO and civil society organisations improve cooperation during the initial steps of the asylum procedure?
- Final Agenda
- Information Note
- Workshop Discussion Papers
- Meeting Report
- Prioritised Recommendations
For any further enquiry, please contact us at Consultative-Forum@easo.europa.eu.